There’s a good chance you’ll find this on every single product you use: Fragrance. The mystery ingredient you’ll find in almost every self-care and household product. Why? Well, for one, who doesn’t like nice smelling things? Scents bring up memories and often bring a sense of relaxation and peace.
So why should women be inclined to buy non-toxic fragrances? Let’s take a look at the current problem. In the US, companies have no legal obligation to disclose what their “fragrance” is made from, because it’s considered proprietary. Aka, they can put anything they want in there to make something smell good and stick to your skin, clothes and hair – even if’s a known carcinogen.
On average, your typical fragrance mixtures typically contains several hundred chemicals, most of which are synthetic. According to a 2018 study, fragrances emit the same amount of chemical vapors as petroleum emissions from cars.
Many of these chemicals are considered volatile organic compounds (also known as VOCs). When breathed in or absorbed through the skin, these VOCs can cause an immune reaction – like respiratory issues, headaches, skin irritation, and even asthma attacks. The worst part? VOC’s can accumulate in our body over time, leading to long term health effects.
Even though its completely legal to not disclose fragrance ingredients, many of them are considered toxic by the US federal laws. One of the biggest culprits being phthalates – hormone disruptors linked to reproductive issues and birth defects.
In short? Stick to non-toxic perfumes (and anything with scent, for that matter) that are transparent with their ingredients and fragrance. If you’re not in the mood to read labels, no worries – here’s our top non-toxic perfume picks for Fall 2020.
1. Ellis Brooklyn
Top: Neroli, black currant
Mid: Honeysuckle, petitgrain, dewy violet
Dry: Crisp amber, cedarwood
- Paraben-free, phthalates-free, cruelty-free and vegan
- Each fragrance is thoughtfully cared for from production start to finish
- Bakelite compression cap: biodegradable and contains no petrochemicals.
- 50 mL housed in an environmentally-friendly glass bottle from an Ecocert supplier
- Made in the USA.
SHOP ELLIS BROOKLYN
Scandalwood Eau de Parfum
$40 – $95
Top: coriander, atlas cedar
Middle: Bulgarian rose
Base: sandalwood, labdanum, white musk
- Unisex fragrance in collaboration with Dita Von Teese
- Composed of essential oils, absolutes, and concretes
- Blended in organic, non-GMO grape and sugarcane alcohols
Top: Bergamot, Neroli, Orange Flower
Heart: Cedarwood Heart, Cedarwood
Base: Guaiacwood, Sandalwood Album, Vanilla
- Socially conscious, luxury fragrance house.
- Sana Jardin is built on the principles of a circular economy – their alternative business model enables the women in our supply chain to become micro-entrepreneurs by up-cycling the waste products from perfume production
4. Memoize London
Top: Grapefruit, Honey.
Middle: Ambrette, Cistus, Incense Fusion, Kashmir Fusion, Oud, Violet.
Base: Amber, Cedarwood, Musk, Powder, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver.
- Clean, cruelty-free scents
- Biodegradable, recyclable packaging
customisable, hand-finished caps are made by independent, artisan craftsmen in Yorkshire using off cuts of oak and walnut, ensuring that nothing is wasted.
SHOP MEMOIZE LONDON
5. Clean Reserve
Fresh Musk, Copabia Oil, Salted Praline
- Cruelty-free, vegan, gluten-free and phthalate-free
- From the cap to the label ink, everything is sustainable and thoughtfully sourced
- The company supports programs for reforestation, drinking water wells and medical facilities for the farming communities
SHOP CLEAN RESERVE
Fall Cashmere Eau de Parfum
$29 – $78
Cinnamon Bark, Roasted Almond, Spiced Ginger
- Made in LA, formulated to be mixed and matched
- clean, vegan, hypoallergenic, and cruelty-free
- Formulated without Sulfates—SLS + SLES, Parabens, Formaldehydes, Formaldehyde-releasing agents, Phthalates, Mineral Oil, Retinyl Palmitate, Oxybenzone & more
The 7 Virtues
Vanilla Woods Eau de Parfum
$29 – $79
Pear, Rose, Vanilla
- The 7 Virtues helps provide education and healthcare
- The fair trade, organic vanilla is sourced from a sustainable cooperative in Madagascar that provides families with fair wages
- This vegan, hypoallergenic, and cruelty-free perfume features organic, fair trade vanilla essential oil from Madagascar
- Their peace perfumes are made with organic sugar cane alcohol. It forms the best bond with natural essential oils which enhances our natural perfumes. Made in Canada.
SHOP THE 7 VIRTUES
Maison Louis Marie
No.04 Bois de Balincourt Eau de Parfum
Sandalwood, Vetiver, Amber Wood
- Louis Marie Aubert du Petit Thouars was a pioneer in French botanical history
- All of their creations are phthalate-, paraben-, sulfate- and cruelty-free
SHOP MAISON LOUIS MARIE
By Rosie Jane
$25 – $65
Fig, Amber, Gardenia
- Founded in 2010 by celebrity makeup artist Rosie Jane Johnston
- Fragrances are made in California with natural ingredients & packaged in 100% eco-friendly materials.
- Mixed in Los Angeles using essential oils, absolutes, nature identicals and fragrance oils.
SHOP BY ROSIE JANE
MILK Layering Fragrance
Bergamot, White Musk, Amber
- Uni-Sex fragrance
- Vegan & Cruelty-free
- Non-toxic ingredients
Immortelle, hinoki, rose, jasmine
- Made from 100% natural plant oils, absolutes, and tinctures
- Fragrances are gender-neutral
- Sigil Scent is a proud member of 1% for the Planet.
SHOP SIGIL SCENT
Editor’s Note: This article contains affiliate links. The Hive uses commission from our affiliate advertisers (not from you) to fund operations of the business. Have a question? Shoot us a note.
Featured Image: sigilscent.com