This super savory, one-pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy to make, full of flavor and guaranteed to please. This recipe creates enough for a family and can be used an easy meal prep for the week. Give it a try and let us know your thoughts!
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted grass-fed butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped (or 2-3 tablespoons granulated garlic)
- 1–2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 x 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 4-ounce can mild green chilies
- 2 lbs chicken breast (raw or cooked – whatever you have)
- 1 cans black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, strained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 limes
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté function. Sauté onions and garlic in the oil and butter until fragrant. (If you are using granulated garlic, you will add later.)
- Add chopped carrots to the pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, green chilies, chicken, black beans, corn, chicken broth, water, salt and all the spices. If you are using granulated garlic, add it in here.
- Once everything is stirred through, set the Instant pot to pressure cook on high. Pressure cook for 14 minutes.
- After 14 minutes, let the pressure out from the Instant Pot. Shred chicken with two forks (you can do this right in the pot, or take it out and shred on a cutting board.)
- Set pot back to sauté and add shredded chicken back into the pot. Squeeze in lime juice and add in extra salt if it is tasting like it needs it.
- Scoop into bowls and top with anything you want – tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, cilantro or avocado and add hot sauce for extra heat.
– I added in more salt than the recipe calls for, I personally like my soups more on the salty-side.
– I made my own tortillas by slicing up these gluten-free tortillas and frying them in grass-fed butter. I cooked them until they were a solid golden brown – they tasted DELICIOUS.