This curry cranberry chicken salad recipe is one of my all-time favorites for a few reasons. It’s extremely easy to make, keto-friendly, gluten-free and also completely free of any nasty seed oils.
I love to make a big batch of this salad and use it for my lunches and snacks throughout the week. Eat it with crackers, on cucumbers, on a slice of bread or just take a big ‘ol spoonful right out of the container (my personal fav.)
There’s one key ingredient that makes this recipe more healthy than most other chicken salad recipes. For this recipe I opted for an avocado oil-based mayo. Why? most other mayonnaise contains canola or soybean oil – two of the most toxic cooking oils out there. While some sources say these oils are “heart-friendly,” the chronic consumption of these oils are also closely tied to serious health conditions like obesity, insulin resistance, heart disease and more. Just take a look at any label – there’s a solid chance you’ll find one of these oils in there. So why not opt for a better option when you can?
My go to: Primal Kitchen Avocado Mayo. It tastes fresh and has the perfect consistency without the negative ingredients and health consequences. This brand also uses minimal ingredients in their mayo (unlike other avocado-based mayos out there) so you can know exactly what’s in each bite.
Side note: a lot of people love celery in their chicken salad, although I didn’t want the taste to overpower the curry. The raw onion and apple give just enough crunch, tanginess and sweetness to balance out the curry. But if you want to add celery, chopped nuts, or anything else in there – go wild.
Curry Cranberry Chicken Salad
*Makes 6+ servings. As always, choose high-quality and organic ingredients when possible.
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 12-oz jar of Primal Kitchen Avocado Mayo
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 green apple, diced into small cubes
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or more if desired)
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- With a knife or kitchen shears, cut the raw chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat and add chicken breast. Cook until all chicken is cooked through, but not over-cooked or browned. *option – you can cook your chicken any way you like (shredded, larger cubes, etc) or even used any leftover chicken from a meal you’ve already cooked.
- In a large bowl, add mayo, curry powder and lime juice and mix through.
- Add in diced apple, chopped onion, cranberries and cooked chicken and fold until contents are mixed evenly.
- Sprinkle in the parsley and give the mixture one final fold-through. Store in an air-tight container and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight (I promise you, it’s worth the wait!)
HOW TO EAT IT:
Serve it over mixed greens, scooped onto sliced cucumbers, in a lettuce wrap or make a sandwich with your favorite bread. Or better yet… do it my way and eat it right out of the container.
Meet Liz, the founder of The Hive. When she’s not working on the site, you’ll find her either cooking some steak, taking a bike ride or playing with her pup, Ziggy.