I’ve been attempting to create a refined sugar-free, raw milk ice cream recipe for some time now – and I think I really nailed this one! Even my husband says this is the best one yet, so take his word for it. It’s perfectly sweet & rich, and you can even add in berries while churning or experiment with different varieties of honey.
Want to give it a shot? Here’s how to do it. *FYI – this recipe calls for an ice cream maker – and this is your sign to get one! Here is the one we use.
Ingredients + Supplies
- 1/2 cup ( 4 fl oz) honey
- 1 cup whole raw milk
- 1 vanilla pod OR 3 tbsb vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup raw cream
- ice cream maker
1. Place ice cream maker bowl insert into the freezer until frozen. You won’t be able to make your ice cream otherwise!
2. Pour milk into a small sized pot over LOW heat. Split the vanilla pod down the center with a knife and drop into the pan, or add your vanilla extract.
3. Carefully stir in the honey and whisk until dissolved. Immediately take it off the heat. Tip- use a liquid thermometer to monitor heat levels (you don’t want to pasteurize the milk!)
4. Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl for 2-3 minutes until thick.
5. Pour the milk mixture onto the yolks, whisking continuously until it thickens even more.
6. Remove the vanilla pod if added. Scrape out the seeds and add back into the custard. Add in the salt.
7. Place mixture into the refrigerator for at least an hour (can even go overnight – the colder, the better.) You can skip this part, but I’ve found that chilling it makes the ice cream texture more ideal.
8. When ready to churn, pour the cream into your refrigerated mixture and stir until thoroughly combined, but not too much.
9. Follow your ice cream maker’s instructions from here.