If you’ve dabbled with the idea of getting an air fryer, but haven’t pulled the trigger…. do yourself a favor and just do it. Air fryers are fantastic for making a hassle-free meals without the cleanup of cooking in the oven (most air fryer baskets can go right in the dish washer!) and you don’t need to use oil to get a crispy, crunchy consistency.
One of the first things I wanted to make with my air fryer were wings. Over the past few months I’ve been ordering from ButcherBox – a meat delivery service that delivers customized orders of meat directly to your door. They offer grass fed beef, free range chicken, heritage pork and salmon thats all free of antibiotics & hormones. They also offer insane sign-up bonuses, and in my case… it was free wings for life!
With a new air fryer and a freezer filled with Butcher Box organic wings, I’ve been on a mission to find a recipe that could give me the crispness of fried wings, without the use of toxic frying oils. I tried putting the wings in sauce prior to frying… fail. I dried different rubs to give it more of a crisp… another fail. It wasn’t until recently that I heard that a specific ingredient helps give the skin a perfect crunch…. and its cheap.
The secret? BAKING POWDER. Plain baking powder – not baking soda. When mixed with salt and coated on chicken, baking powder dries out the skin, leaving the wings perfectly crispy and crunchy. If you’re someone who loves buffalo wings and different sauces, first make them with the recipe below THEN toss the wings in your favorite sauce. Take my word for it and give this recipe a shot!
Crispy Keto Air Fryer Wings
- 2 lbs organic chicken wings
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel to remove as much moisture as possible. In a large bowl, toss chicken wings with baking powder. Once each piece of chicken is covered in the baking powder, add your salt and pepper (you can add as much or little as you like).
- Transfer to air-fryer basket and place in the air fryer. Make sure to avoid overlapping of the wings – they need space in order to get crispy!
- Cook at 375F for 25 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through. Once 25 mins is up, increase the temperature to 420F (or highest setting) and bake for another 5 minutes or until the skin is crispy and brown.
- Remove from air fryer and enjoy as is, or toss the wings in your favorite sauce or seasonings.
Meet Liz, the founder of The Hive. When she’s not working on the site, you’ll find her either cooking some steak, taking a bike ride or playing with her pup, Ziggy.